Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day - #3

 

 

...I wish I were out riding my bike before church, ...

Happy Mother's Day :-) 

I miss my mom the most on this day... and on all of the other holidays and on Saturdays and the daily phone calls... 

When one's parents are gone, there is this feeling of being no one's special child on this Earth. There is no one who cares and understands you like a child. No one who loves you like a child. This is why I cling to the belief that God is and I am indeed very special to Him. I know I am His child and loved like no other, (even when I mess up royally - everyday), because I am His.

I know get to work Nina!

Sigh!

Before midnight tonight I'm supposed to reflect upon "The Stages of Technology" a study from Apple back in 1980, (the year I was married:-), performed on classroom teachers. There are five stages: Entry, Adoption, Adaptation, Appropriation, and Innovation.

The BIG question is: where do I stand in this mix? According to one survey I took the first class I am an "ENCUMBERED User". I disagree with this data. I may be the daughter of the woman who called the mouse a hamster, (mom knew it was some rodent), but like her I can learn. I am teachable. I will do what is expected of me because I do answer to God for my time... Did I use my time wisely or did I bury my time in the backyard?

So, I enter into technology with fear and trepidation. I adopt (not just kiddies) - however, I become at times, (admittedly so), a reluctant user, but I make the darn thing work for me after pushing tons of buttons and click on even more highlighted words and symbols - so I adapt. I also appropriate - I get what I need and love it most, (Thank you Jennifer and Fred and Kay and you too John Boy from District 65 - my beloved IT folk - you all ROCK), when I'm introduced to new stuff that I can use, (like this class).

Now, am I an innovator, (my sister, Jackie has innovate in her email address:-)? ... I would say somewhat. I do teach art. Not media arts. Before media arts, I had students work on word and photo booth to make postcards. I've had kids make podcast - illustrating a story and then writing and pod casting... But of lately, I just have the students type reflections, (like this) and rationales for their art, on the computer, but next year I want to work with dear Nicole, (our media arts teacher). I have the most fun lesson for the eighth graders - so we will collaborate... 

I know, way too many words, funny, I really don't talk much...

Yes, I am an innovator as well.

And one last freebie for the language arts teachers. http://www.bibme.org/ I'm going to use it for my EDU655 class - I need all of the help I can get.

Have a GREAT DAY MOMS and ALL of you women out there who have mothered others. You are loved and highly favored.



2 comments:

  1. You go, girl! It's great that you see yourself at the Innovative stage but recognized you have passed through the other stages. We all do. I also like your challenge to the fact that you fall into the "encumbered" user group. Don't let a survey box you in!

    On a personal note, I can relate. When my dad passed almost 13 years ago I lost all sense of being someone's "daughter". My mom wasn't good with money, bills, organization or a clean house. She passed unexpectedly on Good Friday of 2012 leaving me with a house my grandfather built in 1948, four dumpsters full of stuff, 7 cats, a brother and his son living there and probate (note to others: its not a "treat" to be named Executor!!). Still, I miss her and I move forward parentless. Thanks for the Mama's day well wishes! Same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom! Grandma called the mouse a rabbit, not a hamster.

    ReplyDelete