Sunday, September 20, 2026

Something Conflicting for September

Back in 2020, (that darkened time), I once heard it said of the Amish that they didn’t know that there was a pandemic because - they didn’t have televisions to tell them what was going on and subsequently, how to think and react, so they went about their lives… and so it goes…

Likewise, I haven’t had a television for over a decade and I when I did I never subscribed to a cable programming nor streaming services ever… For news, I’ve often researched things that are of interest to me - It’s of course, a choice - the of interest. I’ve tried to look at life from both sides before creating a hill I may choose to die upon, (and for those of you reading between my lines, I’ve referenced two of my all time favorite songs - just for fun… but really on purpose, because the words fit). 

Television, for me, is a distraction. Yes, there are potential entertaining genres, (old classic movies, i.e., Breakfast at Tiffany’s, West Side Story, Marne, For the Love of Ivy, Imitation of Life…. There are even some newer movies that I’ve run across on YouTube: Labor Day, The Dressmaker, Unbreakable, La Belle et la Bete -French version…). Still, I don’t miss television as it were and when faced with it when visiting someone’s home, (I never quite understand why people have a television on when guests are visiting), I marvel at commercials and am told - I ask too many questions concerning them. 

My point with these three paragraphs is to speak on distractions.

To be transparent… a better word to open with on my present journey.

I’ve left all that I’ve known, (read the April posting), and have been of service to the community in my new home state of North Dakota), since June 15. I did some volunteering before, but like the old saying goes, my work is like play to me. It’s such a blessing. I get to do what I do - “service” - art activities. The big services projects were the murals and now they are completed - since July 15th and so a month later on August14, I started volunteering at the hospital - to do my favorite thing - chat with folks I affectionately call, my “Super Seniors”, (because i-am a senior too, but they are old-er). I ask questions and they remember - sweetly, and share their stories. I did have a small painting project that I’ve just finished - an 8 foot by 4 foot sign for next year’s fair and now really for the first time in a while, am settling into doing art projects of my own direction just this weekend, and writing, and reading, and walking about town, and cooking and sharing a meal with a new found friend, (Father had a plan that I didn’t see coming). I have old friends scheduled for a visit in October - which is exciting… But, still I worry, about being distracted with anything that might take my mind off the purpose - service. 

On the one hand I think to self - “It’s only been a couple of days - breathe… But on the other hand, i-am  accustom to being regimented, (I worked on the murals six days a week from 9 until sometimes 9 at night for fours weeks), and so feel if I’m not engaged with service and I have a moment to relax, lightly directed “fun”… 😳 - something was off… balance! I literally and figuratively… was doing my Martha impression and totally ignoring Mary, who chose to sit at Jesus’ feet and be refreshed and restored. 

Still, I look, of course, to scripture for those who were distracted from what they were supposed to be  doing… but really the distraction looks more like a disobedience issue, rather than distractions - in 1 Kings chapter 13 and it ended in death! Saul in previous chapters of 1Samuel 9-31 was distracted by jealousy, Jonah in the book of Jonah was distracted by his own disappointment with God, so much to the point he wanted to just die! What is a distraction can surely become the thing that trips you up and so causes you to not be ready for the next call to service. One must be obedient with what is given before more gets added on for service - remember the parable of the talents… A couple of servants got more because they were first obedient with what they were given.

God’s people got distracted from the purpose all of the time. Doesn’t make things right, but shows the condition of mankind’s heart. Selfish. So I ask self: Are you being distracted now that you’re done with what seems to be the tasks. It does seem that way, but I also recognize the need to stop and breathe, to be restored so I can be of service - again, in the future.

As I walk this earth, I do grow weary of doing… because I too often simply spin my wheels and go round about in circles - being busy and sadly missing the mark - I could consider growing in my proverbial lane, become refined by the loving sculpting hand of Father God and lean upon His understanding SOLI. This means trust Father God with His directing - it is the only thing in this life that we all get to live, that is solid… Nothing else beloved… 

Permission:

Conscientiously, choosing to stop to breathe is ok and 100% necessary… Looking about those things that are beautiful is good …and of course those things that are dark and broken of this world -they will be there until Jesus comes … but realize you need not do it all. Whatever the doing is and to the it… You are not in control. The buck does not stop with you… It stops, and actually is never ceasing; going on forever because of Father God. 

Breathe - this is for me… maybe for you 🤷🏾‍♀️

Soli Deo Gloria

Nina 


A beautiful bouquet from my dear friend 
…So I stop to smell the roses…

No comments:

Post a Comment